Thursday, September 18, 2014

Re-start

How this artist_blog / blog_art started last year:

Inside/outside, first from the outside.

We had this INDIRECT OUTSIDE VIEW of the Mitte Museum's garden pavillion.

Next, we had this DIRECT OUTSIDE VIEW of the Mitte Museum's garden pavillion.

So why not start this year's edition with an INSIDE VIEW of the garden pavillion:





….. but wait. How am I gonna re-start? How should I continue building on the existing inter\output 
 … most generally… is there a definite continuity? or is it rather a break and a new beginning on a
tabula rasa?
Shall I start in a similar or equal way as I did last year (or in a 'mirrored' way, as I did now, with the
garden pavillion inside-out to give a little reprise to last year's theme), shall I start, again, without a
lot of pre-conceived ideas/expectations and then take it from there and 'let it flow' as I did last year,
taking the risk of repeating a very very similar kind of process? Would that be bad? Or shall I plan
more precisely, (in a way: planning the output and the inter, regardless of the input …) to exercise
some new forms and new kinds of perspective that we didn't have on inter\output so far.
That would be pretty self-absorbed, right?
Well, not really, since it's still all about taking the input (the things happening on the festival) and
making something of it. The interesting aspect of this – and I realize that only now, at the start
of the second round – is that a subjective documentation (unlike collaborating or remixing) is 
a completely unresolved middle-ground between capturing someone else's stuff and creating 
something of one's own, and it is virtually impossible to get a 'balance' here. It's either close to
documentation in the conventional sense, or it's more than close to having created a new…. well,
piece of blog_art.
Anyway, Did I try to get some sort of 50-50-balance between documentation and artistic subjectivity
last year? I don't know. I didn't ask myself that question. I just went to the shows and went ahead,
it had to do with intuition a lot and of course with choices. Having used some 5% of all material
that has been accumulated, you can tell that the choice alone is most crucial to the final shape of
the whole thing.

So now it seems, I do have to ask questions that differ from last year. Why? Well, most simply
because I don't want to bore myself, and I don't want to bore anyone else who spends time exploring
inter\output.
Let's see what can be done to avoid the trap of boring repetition. I'm taking the challenge.

 **